TWO NEW FLATS BUILT WITHIN THE VILLAGE
The new flats were completed at the end of Summer 2020.
They comprise of 1 bedroom flat on the ground floor with a large studio flat on the upper floor.
They have been built to a very high standard and the current tenants are extremely happy in their new homes.
Franklands Village Housing Association are pleased to announce the completion of four new homes in the village. The houses were built by local builder Helme & Hallett of Cuckfield and designed by GWP Architects of Burgess Hill. These properties are the first to be built since the 1930’s and shows FVHA’s commitment to providing homes for local people in housing need within the area.
The official Opening took place on the 14th June 2017 where the new tenants were handed the keys to their properties by the Chief Executive, Patricia Shadforth. The Chair, Carrie Parnell presented the tenants with bouquets from the Association. Lucy Ingram from Waitrose Haywards Heath attended the event and the tenants were given hampers to welcome them to their new homes on behalf of Waitrose.
Mr. & Mrs. Leaney, cut the ribbon to the new properties on behalf of all the tenants.
The Association and Village were originally founded in the mid 1930’s, as a result of an initiative from the local Rotary Club, in response to the effects of the Depression and a particular and continuing need for low cost rented housing. The land was originally part of the Birch Estate and was purchased in 1929 for the sum of £600. At that time and for the next 57 years the Association was called Haywards Heath Housing Society Limited. However, in 1991, it was decided to change the name to Franklands Village Housing Association Limited (FVHA).
Following completion of building operations in 1938, Franklands Village developed into what has been described as a unique community within the voluntary housing movement. The Village has its own Shop, Scout Troop, and a number of other special interest Clubs. In addition, there is a Playing Field (held in a charitable Trust formed in 1950). Many of the original tenants are still happily living in the Village over 69 years later. In 1989, “The Village” was designated by the Mid-Sussex District Council as a conservation area.